The Corona Virus is circling the Earth, causing panic, leaving people wondering how to prepare and how much toilet paper they need for potentially 2 weeks quarantine.
One of the most important aspects of fighting off any illness is a healthy food, full of good stuff to increase your immune system. You need your first line of defense to fight with ease, beating COVID-19‘s arse!
Look no further, this is one of the simplest and very tasty dishes. 30 minutes top, start to finish, using simple ingredients.
I love Pho! It is that simple. My favorite Vietnamese dish. It delivers a range of flavor and builds up your immune system. And, it is fast and easy to make even during a zombie apocalypse.
If you’ve never tried Pho, you missed out and time to correct that mistake.
Let’s get cooking!
For a family of 5 people, here’s what you need for the Pho base:
- 3 quarts of broth; chick or beef
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of Coconut Aminos (healthier soy sauce)
- 2 Star Anise
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, finely sliced
You can add whatever meat or fill you like. I prefer chicken, beef or pork, but you could, of course, use shrimp or other options. It is your choice.
- Chicken: Gentle rub 1-2 chicken breasts with pepper. Panfry them until they are done, and firm to the touch. Cut them into thin slices and add slices to the Pho just before serving.
- Beef: Take a flank steak and fry it on the pan, to your liking. I season it with some pepper. Cut it into thin slices and add to the Pho before saving.
- Pork: Use a small pork loin, trim the fats and fry it on the pan until done. Not crispy done, just enough to be firm to the touch. Slice the sucker into fine slices and add to the Pho.
When the above steps have been completed, you should add your rice noodles to the Pho dish, letting the noodles cook with the rich flavors and until they are ready to serve. Roughly 5-6 minutes or follow the instructions on the package.
You can use dried noodles or fresher noodles. Again, the choice is yours. Whatever tickles your fancy, and whatever the kids like.
I prefer to use Ka-Me Express Rice Noodle as they contain A LOT less sodium than most noodles. Taste great and cook fast.
When serving Pho to the family, use below to add some additional flavor and kick. You might want to hold off on the spicier add-ons for the kids.
- Bean sprouts – this is a key add-on
- Freshly squeezed lime juice
- Freshly chopped coriander/cilantro
- Sliced jalapeno
- Hoisin sauce
- Sriracha… that shit can kick your immune system straight to the frontlines
IMPORTANT – please remove the Star Anis and Kaffir leaves. These should not be consumed and might result in some unpleasant taste or rapid bowel movements.
Stay in touch with me through social media!