Damn, this was the easiest Indian styled dish I’ve ever made. Start to finish was about 25 minutes, and it can be served with warm naan bread or boiled rice.
It is perfect for your busy work/school week, where you need to feed the hungry troops, and not stress too much with creating something more elaborate.
And, and it is a vegetarian dish, and packs loads of nutrition and vitamins. You can’t go wrong!
- 1 large onion
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, chopped and minced
- 1 small can of tomato low salt paste, 6 ounces
- 2 1/2 cups almond milk
- 3 tablespoons Avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of coriander
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 15-ounce cans black lentils or 3 cups cooked lentils of your choice
- 15-ounce can of low salt black beans
- Naan or boiled
- Sour cream and fresh cilantro, to top off the dish
Here’s the magic!
- Cut the onion into tiny pieces
- Peel and mince the garlic
- Peel and mince the ginger
- Mix together the tomato paste and 1/2 cup of the Almond milk, until well mixed
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil
- Gently brown the cumin seeds, about 1 minute
- Add the onion, garlic, and ginger, for about 1 to 2 minutes
- Add the chili powder, coriander, garam masala, cayenne pepper, butter, the tomato paste, and milk/tomato mixture, and add another 1/2 cup milk
- Add the beans and lentils
- Heat and stir, while gradually adding the rest of the milk – 1 1/2 cups
Enjoy this simple and delicious dish, trying some amazon flavors from India in your own kitchen.