Did you ever panic or wonder what to serve as a side?
We often tend to focus on the main course or dessert, and forget to prepare a side dish. As a result, the main course looks a little bare, and might not fill the stomachs around the table.
A simple side, like a salad, can add nutrition and flavors to any dish. It looks nice when being served with the main course, and you will be surprised how delicious some of these sidekicks can be.
Fret no more my grasshopper! I will share a very simple dish, which only takes 10 minutes to make … assuming you do not have to go shopping first of course!
Few of the ingredients were used by my Viking ancestors, but that does not prevent me from calling this a ‘Hearty Viking Salad’.
Open your fridge and get ready;
- 3 medium roman tomatoes
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 green onions
- Juice from half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 handful of fresh parsley
Next – you will be practicing your skills with a blade. A blade of your choice. Something sharp, easy to handle, and a solid blade. A solid blade means a blade that does not bend like a filet or bread knife.
- Dice the tomatoes
- Dice the cucumber
- Finely slice the green onions
- Place the three vegetables in a medium-sized bowl
- Pour the olive oil over the salad base
- Squeeze the lemon and add it to the salad – try to catch the seeds
- Chope the parsley, finely
- Place the parsley on top of the salad
- Roll up your sleeves, and gently mix the salad with your hand
Voila, you’ve succeeded in making a delicious and yet simple side dish. You can use this salad for most main courses, and we have also eaten ith with kebabs.
Stay in touch with me through social media!