It’s not Christmas without the aroma of freshly made mulled wine. And, as we know, red wine is good for your heart, but all in moderation of course.
Adults are gently sipping it while the kids are busy decorating cookies or watching your choice of great Christmas movies; Elf, Die Hard, Polar Express, Home Alone or Christmas Vacation just to share a few options.
Funnily enough, my dear wife demands every year that I make a large pot of mulled wine. Not sure if it is her way of saying she needs to destress, get a little tipsy or just need an opportunity to be an adult in Christmas surroundings.
Either way, I fully oblige and love making this drink for us, and friends who happen to be visiting us at that time too.
Great news! It is actually rather easy and fast to make a batch of mulled wine.
Depending on how many adults will be participating in the festivities, you just double, triple or quadruple the batch.
I calculate 1 bottle for every 2 adults, to allow for some loss in the heating process, and also to ensure you have enough for everyone. Remember, you can always fill it in a thermal for use later LOL
- 1 bottle of red wine – I normally a cheap fruity Cabernet Sauvignon
- The peel from 1 orange
- slice the orange to be used for decoration when serving
- 1 cup of brandy or Port
- 8 to 10 cloves
- 4-5 star Anise
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 1/3 cup of sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup of honey to add some sweetness
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon of Allspice or pumpkin spice
Get ready to create your own Christmas spirit in a pot, and here’s how:
- Get a big pot, enough to fit all the ingredients.
- Add all ingredients to the pot and GENTLY heat up the mixture.
- It is important that you do not boil the mixture, as it will take some of the flavor and alcohol levels out, i.e. no longer able to give you that Christmas feeling LOL
Serve the brew in cups and decorate with orange slices.
Note! Some people enjoy eating the raisins and almonds while sipping the mulled wine. I would suggest you strain the mixture when ready, and serve the fruits/nuts in a little bowl next to it, for those who enjoy these.
Stay in touch with me through social media!